Custom Search

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Moms!


It is a famous saying, "Moms supposed to be annoying! That's their duty!"


It does make perfect sense in my case.


I am a 48 years old woman. Single mother of two adult children. One in university, another is working. I have travelled around almost half of the globe and seen a lot. I have had my life long achievements and am happy with where I am. Of course, nobody's life is perfect, but I cannot complain since there are always a worst case scenario compare to negative aspects of any life.


I live in Canada and my mother lives in Sweden. I love her to death. She is a very loving, caring and dedicated mother. She has always been like that. I know that she loves all her children and she never means to hurt us in anyway. Yet! Yet, she annoys the hell out of me almost everytime we talk. The older we get the matter gets worse. Somehow, she always looks at me as a 15 years old teenager. She never agrees with anything I would say. I don't know what are the credibility standards in her eyes, but it never seems that I fit in that category for her. For example, If I say, " Workingout is good." She would say, "Yes it is good, but every workout is different. You cannot say workingout is good, unless to add blah and blah to it." Then I say, "Of course! I mean working out is good only if blah and blah!" She says, "No! Working out is good. Dosen't matter if blah and blah!"


Such frustrating conversations between us can go on and on, and happens all the time.




What triggered me today making me writing this article, was the conversation I had with my mother today.


We are Canadian, and have lived in this city for almost 20 years and because of my job, and our lifestyle, I have learned quite more than ordinary about the system, the rules, laws and lifestyle here.


My son graduated from college a year ago. He could have started working right away as he got a couple of good job offers at spot. Instead, he decided to go to university. Apart from that, if he wanted to work, he had two options. One was just to accept any of the job offers and start working, or to pay for his licence so he could open a business of his own. Now that he is in university, he cannot do the office work, since what he studies does not leave him enough time to work even part-time in his field of diploma.


Anyways! I have been explaining this to my mother since last year. I have tried all form of communication skills to make her understand why my son is not working while studying.


Every once in a while she brings up the subject and we start all over again. It makes me wonder if she is even listening to me when I talk.


So today, my mother called me from Europe, telling me that she was watching a tv program. She has called the tv show's host who had told her to tell me that I have to call her here and she is going to tell me where to go and what to do in order to get a work permit for my son!


Can you imagine how I felt? I don't think there is a need to say anymore.


All I can say is that I am so worried if I snap someday. I have been respectful and polite all these years, trying to control the anger, emotions or the mixed tense feelings so I would not say anything I would regret afterwards.


How far this could go? I have no idea. I would be happy to hear your stories or suggestions. Feel free to reply here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel With Your eyes!

All credits belong to National Geographic. Copyrights holder of the images in this slideshow is National Geographic.
Make a Wish!!